Skip to main content

A Night at the Stadium

So just in case for some reason you were wondering why there were no posts yesterday, well it was because I spent the day in the Big Apple which included a first trip to a Yankee Red Sox Game. I sat in the upper deck on the left field line, in essence where that photo is just a few more rows up and one things for certain being inside the stadium for a Red Sox game is much different than a Royals game...

High School Bad Asses

So I get into the stadium about 5 minutes before the first pitch and we're sitting around (my father, myself, my little sister and my girlfriend an evil Red Sox fan) and to for the first half inning there is really no body around us until mid inning when a whole high school came in and surrounded my seats. The kids were definitely upper high school, and thought they were epically cool. One kid snuck in a bottle of Smirnoff, and was in the bag immediately. He walked into the row, sat down for a half an inning, then decided to go to the bathroom, fell on his way out on some random dude's head in the row in front of him, and the kid never showed up for the remainder of the game. Whoops. Then for the next few innings the high schoolers were getting some guys in their high 20s to buy them beer and they all lit up their cigarettes.

On of the high schoolers was the exact replica of Turtle from Entourage in his high school years, including they attire that Turtle wears. He started getting a bit rowdy and was a proud displayer of his middle digits. Eventually in around the 6th him and one of his other buddies who was definitely a jackass both got thrown out, and the high schoolers were then instantaneously less annoying.

If it was legal I'm pretty sure my father would have stood up and punted one of their heads.

Welcome to the Chess Club

Directly sitting behind me was a kid wearing a winter yankee hat, it was 65 all night long, who might as well just sign up for the Chess Club now and virginity until his mid 30s. At the start of the game I hear the kid, probably upper middle school, ask his older brother who's hitting the Red Sox or the Yankees. This baffles my mind, as it's not as if the kid was 5 years old. Then an inning or so later I turn around and see that the kid is playing his Nintendo DS instead of actually watching the game, he proceeds to play his DS for the remainder of the time he's at the game. And to top it off at one point in time there was one of the many F the Red Sox chants going on, and he turns to his brother and says, is he saying Let's Go Red Sox, unreal. I think this annoyed me more than the smoke or the fact the high schoolers stood up way too much. This kid is someone that gets a ticket, to a game it's almost impossible to get tickets too? Are you serious? If I ever have a kid that is that much of a dork I might have to put myself out of my misery and this is coming from me, someone who is relatively a dork.

Annoying Sox Fans

Back in college there were the sane Red Sox fans (Tone) and their were the illogical Sox fans (Conidi). The ones that would celebrate like they just won the AL East after they hit a solo homer to cut the deficit to 4. Well nearby, there was a group of Sox fans jumping up and down waving their Dominican flags yelling like they were dominating the game, after every basehit. It was very annoying. To further explain how annoying these guys were, they were all wearing Ortiz t-shirts, but one of them had a light blue polo shirt underneath the t-shirt and was popping the color through it. Loser.

Too Many to Count

All in all there were way too many people during the game thrown out to count. From the 5th inning on you could just hear chants around the entire stadium and see the security running to spots where conflicts were starting. A brawl broke out by the right field foul pole which you could see a few haymakers being thrown. In my section alone the three high schoolers were booted, 2 fans that were throwing M&Ms at Red Sox fans were booted (they even hit a little girl who was a Sox fan), one guy got hit in the head by a 1/2 a beer and got soaked and started talking trash to the guy who hit him but did nothing because he would have gotten dropped with one punch, a few girls got kicked out, etc.

The Game

As for the Game, Wang managed to work out of a ton of jams and didn't appear to have the best control. Wakefield on the other hand, who had the Yanks number prior to the Boone homer, appears to just get owned by the Yanks now. The Arod homer in the first was a bomb, so was the Giambi homer and for the most part the Yankees his the ball hard off him. The Red Sox missed out on many opportunities to score runs and that was that.

In the End

The good guys won, but honestly it was almost difficult at times to pay attention to the game given all the side bars in the stands and the high schoolers standing up throughout the game. It certainly is a different experience than the typical Yankee game, and one things for certain if you plan on bringing your little kid to a game and don't want to them exposed to curse words, the upperdeck is not the place to be. As for myself it just might be time for me to start moving my butt towards the upper class ticket sections.

Oh and for the most part Yankee fans are complete assholes...

Comments

Big Bear said…
I agree completely Simon, at least on the irritating clowns at the game part. One question though, is smoking allowed at the Stadium? I would find that hard to believe
Simon said…
No smoking is definately not allowed, eventually we told them to stop, mostly because all the smoke ended up directly on my sister.
Big Bear said…
I figured as much. Ah, to be in high school again.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.